BBC Sport | Sport Homepage | UK Edition

Sunday 17 April 2011

Andy Murray may withdraw from Barcelona Open due to elbow injury

Murray went down battling, 6-4, 2-6, 6-1, and admitted he will have to take medical advice before planning any further.

"Certainly I'll have an MRI scan, maybe tomorrow," said the Scot after going down in just under three hours. You sometimes get like a bit of bone basically that has fallen off.

"It sounds worse than it is, but it's basically floating around in the joint. So every time I bend it, I get of a lot of, like, clicking. It just feels really bruised because I obviously had a couple of injections. There's blood and stuff going in there.

"It was good because I managed to play. But I would have liked to have finished the match a bit better."

Murray had a fright when the problem first arose in the countdown to the semi-final.

"Yesterday at the beginning of the second set (in his quarter-final), I felt something, but I managed to play through it," he said. "This morning I was hitting, warming up fine. I went to hit some serves; I couldn't serve."

The world No 4 said the injury took a psychological toll.

"When you do have an injury, it's sometimes difficult to concentrate. Against someone like him, you need to play every single point, concentrate from every single point to the last.

"You can't just throw games, hope to hang onto your serve. You need to play every single point to put pressure on him."

But overall the Scot could fault little in his performance.

"I thought it was a good match, but I think I can play better. It's good to know you're able to play at a similar level to what he does on the clay. To win against him, you need to be able to do that for three and a half hours, four hours.

"The matches that he's lost on clay the last few years have been normally long ones. He's the best player in the world for a reason."


View the original article here

No comments: