BBC Sport | Sport Homepage | UK Edition

Friday 1 April 2011

Asafa Powell blasts 'bottler' tag

ASAFA POWELL has blasted claims he is a big race bottler and insisted he can beat Usain Bolt this year.

The Jamaican was the world’s fastest man for three years before Bolt burst onto the scene and turned 100metre running into a one-horse race.

Yet when it comes to the World Championships and Olympics he has the sum total of two bronze medals in individual competition to show for his efforts.

Powell, 28, chose the day he confirmed he will compete twice in England this summer against American record holder Tyson Gay to fight back.

While admitting he had yet to fulfil his potential, he blamed injuries rather than any mental weakness for coming up short.

Advertisement - article continues below »

“People say when I get to the championships I don’t produce my best form,” he said. “It might look that way but the issue has always been a physical one.

“Providing I am fit I see no reason why I shouldn’t be on the top of the podium come the World Championships. I know I can run very fast.”

That much is clear as he boasts a lifetime best of 9.72 seconds. Whether he has the all-round game to topple Bolt is another matter.

British fans can judge for themselves when Powell and Gay clash at the Aviva Birmingham Grand Prix on July 10 and the Aviva London Grand Prix on August 5-6.

? FOR tickets or information go to uka.org.uk/aviva-series or phone 08000 556 056.


View the original article here

No comments: