BBC Sport | Sport Homepage | UK Edition

Friday 22 April 2011

London 2012: Nicole Cooke: I miss home but I don't see what I do as a sacrifice

Few British athletes at London 2012 will have spent their entire careers outside the UK but for Welsh road cyclist Nicole Cooke, who in 2008 became the first Olympic and World Champion in the same year, it has been a necessity.


Straight after finishing school, aged 18, her career took her to Italy and a change of team in 2007 has dictated a move to her current home in Switzerland.


‘I’ve never felt like it’s a sacrifice,' said Cooke. 'It’s a lifestyle. I’m really excited by everything that comes with being a professional cyclist, it’s a fantastic opportunity – I want to make the most of it.



‘It may not be the most normal, but it’s one I’m happy to lead. I organise things around my cycling and my family and friends support me in that.


‘I miss my family and friends back in the UK and of course the familiarity one has with their local area, particularly the community spirit of South Wales.


‘However, I enjoy finding out about new cultures and tasting new cuisines including the local specialities. I’ve always learnt the languages for where I’ve been based and made sure I studied Italian before I left the UK.'


Despite having won Olympic Gold in Beijing, Cooke, who recently turned 28, believes a win in London would be even more special.



‘The gold medal in 2008 was a dream come true,' she said. 'I had thought it was possible, but doing it was incredible. When I finally won, it was like an explosion of emotions as more than 10 years of hard work and determination came out.


‘For me though, London 2012 is another once in a lifetime opportunity that I really want to go for. I don’t think anything can top an Olympics in your own country.


‘It’s a chance to compete in front of home crowds. I only have one race in the UK a year, so it’s a chance for the British public to find out what international road racing in all about.'


Cooke believes that those thinking about getting tickets for the road cycling at London 2012 would have a great day out.


‘You can bring deckchairs, a picnic and a radio to listen to the race coverage. You can also bring anything that’ll make a great atmosphere like bells, whistles or drums. It doesn’t matter where you are on the course, you will enjoy it.’


One of Cooke’s finest achievements was winning a bronze medal in the 2006 Commonwealth games. She was the sole Welsh road cycling representative and was outnumbered by stronger nations. 


Her Welsh pride is clear and is further reflected when she tells Sportsmail of her Olympic inspirations.


'Growing up in Swansea, Colin Jackson was a big idol as were Welsh cyclists Sally Hodge and Louise Jones. Hodge won the World Championship on track and Jones won commonwealth gold.


‘They were real people who lived locally who I could go and chat to. They grew up in the same sort of area that I did before going onto success and I thought there’s no reason I can’t do that.'


Cooke regards herself as a huge sports fan and thinks London 2012 will ensure many wonderful memories.

‘I wouldn’t turn down a ticket to anything at London 2012. There are so many events that will be amazing – I couldn’t choose one single event above all others. I really enjoy learning of the drama and story behind every athlete.'


Whilst not a regular visitor to London due to her international cycling career, Cooke has been aware of the increase in cycling around the capital. London Mayor Boris Johnson introduced cycling stations to encourage more people to get on two wheels.


‘I’ve heard all about them. I think anything that gets people out and about cycling is fantastic. It’s something I’d love to see a lot more of. I really hope that more people will cycle around London’.


For now, Cooke remains training in Switzerland, but the gears will not be staying in neutral as she prepares to win back-to-back Olympic Gold medals.   


To apply for London 2012 tickets visit tickets.london2012.com any time between now and 26 April.



View the original article here

No comments: