BBC Sport | Sport Homepage | UK Edition

Tuesday 19 April 2011

Murray waits on scan in Barcelona

Andy Murray waiting for elbow injury verdict

Andy Murray will decide on Tuesday whether he is fit to compete in Barcelona this week following a scan on his injured elbow.

The Briton required a cortisone injection ahead of Saturday's Monte Carlo semi-final against Rafael Nadal.

After losing in three sets to the world number one, Murray travelled to Barcelona for this week's ATP event.

He will have treatment and test the elbow in a practice session on Tuesday afternoon before making his decision.

Should he take up his place in the draw, Murray has a bye in round one as the second seed and will face Juan Carlos Ferrero or Xavier Malisse in round two.

Top seed and five-times Barcelona champion Nadal is in the other half of the draw along with world number five Robin Soderling.

However, with Masters 1000 tournaments to follow in Madrid and Rome ahead of the French Open, which starts on 23 May, Murray is wary of causing the elbow further damage.

"I've seen the doctor here and been getting a lot of treatment from my physio the last few days, and I don't think it's anything serious," he told BBC Sport.

"Whether or not I'll be able to play this week, I'm not sure. I haven't hit any balls since Monte Carlo but I'm going to practise [on Tuesday] in the morning and see how it is, and then I'll make a decision after that."

Nadal tips Murray for clay success


View the original article here

No comments: