BBC Sport | Sport Homepage | UK Edition

Monday 30 May 2011

Monaco Grand Prix 2011: Renault driver Vitaly Petrov given all-clear after crashing in chaos-hit race

Petrov was involved in an incident with Jaime Alguersuari in his Toro Rosso on lap 69 just as the three leaders in winner Sebastian Vettel, runner-up Fernando Alonso and third-placed Jenson Button were poised to lap a gaggle of cars.


Alguersuari ran over a kerb and into the back of Lewis Hamilton's McLaren, his momentum carrying him into a barrier coming out of the swimming pool complex, with Petrov unable to avoid ploughing into the back of the Toro Rosso.


Initial reports suggested Petrov was knocked unconscious, but the Russian has confirmed that was not the case.


However, an ambulance was still required and Petrov explained: ''It was quite a big impact and I could not feel my legs very well after the crash.


''I thought it was best for the medical team to assist with removing me from the car as it was difficult for me to move and my legs were trapped in the cockpit.


''I did not lose consciousness, but I was in quite a lot of pain when I was inside the car.''


Following a series of scans and tests, Petrov has been given the all-clear, and was tonight back in his hotel.


Expressing his gratitude for the attention he received, Petrov added: ''I would like to thank all my fans for all their well wishes, the medical teams at the circuit, the hospital for their efficient and friendly assistance, and the team for their concern.''


Team principal Eric Boullier was naturally relieved Petrov had escaped without injury.


''I'm glad to report Vitaly is okay, he has no fractures, just a sore ankle, but he is already joking,'' said Boullier.


View the original article here

No comments: